Sunday, March 21, 2010

“That’s not fair.”

WARNING: Political Story!



All day I have been glued to the TV watching the house debate the healthcare bill. Travis said to me, “You better not blog about this.” "I won’t." I promised. Well, he is sleeping and I lied! I had to share this story because for one, it is absolutely true and it is about my favorite little boy in the whole wide world as I tell him almost daily!


Titan, was up later than usual tonight. I am on Spring Break this week and I told him he could stay up until I went to bed. I was watching the votes being cast for the healthcare bill. Titan looked at the TV and asked what they were doing. Quickly thinking of how I could explain this to my son the only thing I could think to say is that these people want to make sure that everybody in the United States can go to the doctor. “Like Liddy does tomorrow he says.” “ Yes”, I say. “Why,” he asks. I said, “Right now not everybody gets to go to the doctor if they need to.” He said, “That’s not fair.” This statement is usually something that REALLY gets under my skin, but this time, his “that’s not fair” was exactly right and exactly fitting. “You are right I said, but President Obama will make sure that will change,” I said. With that he laid his head down on my lap and within 30 seconds was asleep. Sitting there watching him sleep, watching the votes being cast. I felt tears welling up in my eyes, thankful in knowing that he may never know the term pre-existing conditions or caps or limits on healthcare coverage, and he will forever know the term doughnut holes as those things he eats at Pa Hauger's house. Hoping he will never be tied to his job with the fear of losing his healthcare coverage…and hoping more than anything else, that he never has to worry about healthcare a day in his life. After watching C-Span all day I think the most profound thing I heard all day was from my 4 year old. “That’s not fair.”

No comments: