Thursday, March 11, 2010

Facing Unemployment

I am starting to see a pattern forming that I am not very happy about. It goes something like this: I get a job. Governor Daniels tries to take it away. President Obama gives it back. Governor Daniels takes it away. You see, I am in year two of my new teaching career. Last year due to budget cuts I received a RIF notice, the teaching term for a layoff. I left school last year not knowing if I would have a job or not. In early July I received a phone call saying that funds had come into the corporation from the stimulus package and that my job was safe. Then, in December, Governor Daniels declared that all schools K-12 must reduce their budgets. Therefore, once again, being at the bottom of the seniority list my job is on the line. This time so are 9 of my fellow teachers and 10 members of our support staff.

Anyone who has read my previous post knows that I am very conflicted about my job. I do love it very much but I love my kids more. I am looking at this as being a blessing either way. If I am called back I will be blessed to have a job when so many others do not. However, if I am not called back I will also feel blessed to be able to spend time at home being a mom to my kids.

My heart breaks for my fellow coworkers who depend on this job for their health insurance, their income, and in some cases their livelihood. Luckily, my kids won’t go hungry, we won’t lose our health insurance, and my identity is not defined by my job title.

In my opinion, the most important priorities in our country should be the health and safety of our citizens and the education of our children. All of which have taken a major hit in the last several years. Here’s hoping that Mitch Daniels finishes out his term in office and enjoys his retirement and congress gets their act together and starts doing something productive. Count this as political rant number 1!

2 comments:

Carri said...

At least you made it all the way to your 5th blog before you did the rant!! LOL

Kelly said...

Yes, I even suprised myself! lol