Thursday, March 25, 2010

Birthday

My 30th birthday started about 5am this morning. Miss Liddy was fussing in her bed. I laid there for a second or two wondering if she would just go back to bed. She didn’t. So I got up, stumbled down the hallway, literally. Once in her room I immediately understood why she was crying. Let’s just say she left mommy a present and it required new sheets and all. Cleaning up her and the mess I finally made her a bottle and settled down on the couch to feed her, hoping she would decide she was as tired as I was and go back to sleep. Luckily she did. Although I was sleepy and 5am on a morning I don’t have to go to work does feel like the middle of the night, I still enjoyed the darkness of the house, the quietness and the alone time with my baby girl. When she started sleeping all night it was bittersweet. Obviously, I was thrilled to sleep again, however those middle the night moments when we were the only two awake in what seemed like the entire world, were and are so precious.

I wish I could say that once I put Liddy back to bed I cleaned the house, did laundry and now my house is immaculate. No, that’s not what happened. I crawled right back under the covers and tried to sleep. By this time Travis was now up and making all kinds of noise around the house. While grateful I now had the whole bed to myself I was counting down the seconds till the rumbling in the kitchen stopped so I could finally go back to bed. Each morning the front door opens and slams, yes slams, shut two times, once as Travis goes out to start the car and the second time when he goes out to leave for work for the day. On days I work this serves as my alarm clock and the snooze button, but on days I don’t it serves as the source of my fury! Today however, on the second slam Liddy let out a little squeal. Probably scared by the sudden noise but in my mind she was thinking the same thing I was..REALLY are you kidding me? MUST you slam the door shut so loud! Luckily she didn’t stay awake or my fury over the door may have resulted in out and out rage!

The next thing I knew my door swung open slamming into the closet door making all kinds of noise. Like father like son! Titan says with much more excitement than I could have over my birthday, “It’s your birthday you are 29!” Laughing, I tried to explain to him that I was really 30. Yesterday jokingly I had said that once you turn 30 your birthdays start going backwards. Titan took me completely seriously and is now convinced that is a fact! Sometimes I forget that Titan listens to everything I say and NEVER forgets a thing!

For lunch we went over to my dad’s house. Pulling in the driveway I was excited to see my grandfather’s truck. Liddy and I had walked over to his house the night before and he was telling us how he just didn’t feel good anymore. It breaks my heart to think we may not have many years left with him. I was joking with my dad, saying that he must be old to have a daughter that is 30 years old. My papaw chimed in, “yeah and that makes me REALLY old.”

So on my birthday, I am feeling very blessed. I have two beautiful children and a wonderful husband. Travis and I are surrounded by wonderful family and friends. Life is good, maybe even great!

No comments: