Tuesday, March 30, 2010

First T-Ball Practice

Tonight was Titan’s first official T-ball practice. I know everyone always says this but it really is true. They grow up so fast! As I wrestled with Liddy on the sidelines I watched as my baby boy ran the bases, stepped up to bat, and stood in the outfield. He looked so big out there. He was also one of the tallest, something that seems to be a reoccurring situation.

I couldn’t help but smile when it was his turn to bat and he was searching for his batting helmet. He found it, put it on his head and then proceeded to slap the top of it, just like Travis did when he helped him put it on for the first time.

He has, however, taken a couple of things a little too seriously. One is “keep your eye on the ball,” well he does, and instead of taking a full swing at the ball it is like he is trying to swat it down. The other thing we have told him that he totally took to heart was, “don’t run all over the field to get the ball, only get the ones that come in your area.” (one of the funniest things is watching 15 4 year olds run straight to the ball no matter where it lands, then watching them fight over it) Well on Titan’s team there will only be 14 kids doing this, because he will be planted firmly on the weed the coach told him to stand on, unless that ball comes right at him. I swear one time he gave the rest of the kids on the field his “Travis look” the half smirk, half rolled eye, head shake. The one that says, “Are you kidding me, or how could you be that dumb.” Or in Titan’s case it was probably, “your mommy and daddy are going to be so mad at you.”

Well my son might not be the most aggressive kid on the team, but I am at least thankful he participated and was not playing in the dirt, like I had feared. My favorite quote from the night, the coach asked all the kids if they were ready to play some baseball, Titan replied, “I’m not, I’m ready to play some T-Ball!”

On the way home Titan asked if he was good. Thinking back to the swing and the refusal to go after the ball I replied, “You did really good, but you still need to practice and get better.” He said, “No, was I a good boy?” Oh, okay, my bad. It wasn’t if he was good at the game it was if he acted like a good boy. I am pretty sure if I would have looked back at him in the car seat I would have seen another, “Travis look.”

3 comments:

Stephanie Keltner said...

so cute!!! Can't wait for the girls practice tonight...will be entertaining I am sure!!!

Unknown said...

Wish I could have seen him. Reminds me of you when you played--you were stuck to your spot in the field as well! Love that little boy!

Pam Williams said...

shows you ae doing a great job Kelly...that he is concerned with how he "behaved"! and that Travis look...know it well!