Monday, April 19, 2010

Farming

Farming season has begun.  This means that we will now be late to everything we attend, if we make it there at all, and I will be playing single mom for the next few months.  For the past couple of years Travis has been helping my dad, farm.  I really can't complain because he is helping my dad but it does get old quick.  So from now till all the crops are in the ground, Travis will be in the field every night that it isn't raining and every weekend.  Here is how the first weekend went.

Saturday I woke up to Titan and Travis arguing about the size of Titan’s shoes. Titan is saying, “But daddy they are too small, they hurt my toes.” And Travis says, “But those are your farming shoes the ones you can walk in the mud in.” Titan, “But they are too small.” So out of bed I go, into Titan’s room to find him a pair of shoes. Where are you going I ask, I get two responses from Travis, “to the field.” From Titan, “to Pa Hauger’s” I wondered who was going to win that battle?  Travis and Titan always go to the field but somehow Titan always ends up at my dad's.  Sure enough later that day I had to go pick him up at dad's. 

That night we decided to try to take Titan to Thunder over Louisville. This would be his first trip. There is something about Thunder over Louisville and small children that just doesn't seem to appealing to me. However, Titan is older now and we thought he could handle it. But because it is now farming season, Travis was gone all day, and yes we were running late. 

I had explained to Titan that Liddy was to little and the sound of the fireworks might scare her so she was going to stay at Grandma's.  He wasn't real thrilled about this.  I would like to think that it was because he loves his sister and didn't want to go without her but something tells me it might just be that he was a little jealous of her getting to stay at Grandma's. 

Anyway, we made it down to Jeffersonville in time to get a bite to eat and find a place to park.  By accident we found a small open field where several cars were pulled off.  We decided to follow suit.  Instead of fighting the crowd and the cold we decided this might be our best option.  I snapped a picture of Titan while we were waiting for the fireworks to begin.  He just looks like he is up to something, doesn't he?



Next time we try Thunder we won't watch from the car.  It just isn't the same.  It is just one of those things that if you are going to do it you have to be all in or stay home.  Of course about half way throught the fireworks Travis had to hit the road, to avoid the traffic.  Both Titan and I were a little disappointed but we did miss all the traffic. Titan was asleep about a mile into the drive, but before he drifted off he said, "Liddy could have come, it wasn't to loud."  Maybe he does love his sister. 












Sunday was more farming, suprise, suprise.  This time Liddy and I were asked to participate.  We took the boys to the field to move the equipment. You know when your are driving 10 miles an hour there isn't much to do so I took this photograph.  Notice the tractor in the mirror, that would be the boys. 



















 (I don't even remember signing up for this job, I guess you could count this as one of those "How Did I get Here?" kind of moments I was talking about.)





No comments: